Sunday, September 22, 2013

Reaction to Talia's Post

Like Talia, I also think that the narrator is terrified of Phaedrus, and that that is the reason why he does not tell Chris that ghosts actually exist. However, I also believe that due to the fact that Phaedrus seems to be calling Chris at the end of Chapter 5, the connection between Chris and the ghost makes the narrator even more terrified of Phaedrus and more determined to keep Chris from knowing that ghosts exist, if he does not know it already.  Apart from this possibility, I am left in the same position as Talia is, not knowing what other purpose Phaedrus serves in the story. I do believe, however, that Phaedrus will become a constant and increasingly occurring conflict for the narrator, and that it will ultimately drive the novel towards its climax.
I am eager to see what connection Phaedrus has with Chris. The old poem by Goethe is highly similar to the circumstance the narrator is going through right now. It will be tragic to learn that the narrator's story ends in the same way as the poem ends, in "failure... Death of the child. The ghost wins", unfortunately however, I do think there is a strong level of similarity between the two stories.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with both Rodrigo and Talie when they say that the narrator is terrified of Phaedrus. However,i don't think he tries to hide him from Chris out of fear. I don't see the purpose Phaedrus has for going after Chris. Yet, I still want to find out more about Phaedrus. His role in the story has me baffled and it seems like it's going to be very interesting.
    As Rodrigo said, the Goethe poem is similar to the narrtor's life in this moment. Although the ending of the poem seems unlikely, i feel like it is foreshadowing some sort of horrible event. But i don't believe that Phaedrus, the ghost would be the killer.

    ReplyDelete