Sunday, September 22, 2013

Difference in personality, Chris, and Phaedrus

                I like how Pirsig never stated one personality as better than the other. He says the narrator focuses on scientific meaning, while John has an artistic mentality. Although the narrator didn’t understand at first why John thought this way, he never said it was wrong. He usually thinks that his methods are better, but this time, he said they were both right. One personality is practical and the other is intuitive. However, I disagree with the narrator when he says that John’s reason of anger toward his engine was based on his personality. It could be possible that he was mad, just because it wouldn’t start and he was annoyed by it. The narrator always tries to relate his thoughts to real life experiences and tries to validate his theories through these memories.
                Also, I could tell from the beginning that something was wrong with Chris. He was acting different, rude, and spoiled. At first, I thought the narrator was being too lenient and not giving his son enough character. As a parent, I think would have been livid if my son completely ignored me and did the opposite of what I said. Yet, when the narrator revealed he had a mental illness, it’s obvious that the narrator is trying to find the best method of raising his son. He continuously doubts his actions and is just trying to do what is best for Chris. I am curious at why the narrator never told his close friends, John and Sylvia about his son’s illness.
                The narrator describing Phaedrus as an evil spirit does make me think that he is an actual ghost. Nevertheless, I don’t quite understand his role in the book.  It doesn’t make sense why Phaedrus would be calling Chris at the end of the chapter. The narrator, at least how I see it, made it seem as if Phaedrus was responsible for his sons mental illness and that might be the reason why he the narrator is scared of him.


1 comment:

  1. I found the comment that Jose made about Chris' behavior to be humorous yet extremely relatable and true. Seeing as that we are only seventeen years old it is hard to have the mentality of a parent. Nevertheless, Jose's comment about the narrator being too lenient with his son is something I can agree with. If I ever have a son who ignores me and goes completely against what I say, I know that I will be angry with him. However, the revelation that Pirsig provides about Chris' mental state makes me feel sympathy towards both the narrator and Chris. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to raise a child with a mental illness. All the child must think about are his physical needs. It has not yet been revealed what the mental illness is, but that is something that I am looking forward to discovering. I do not believe that Pirsig will come out and name the disease. Instead, I think he will describe it in a manner so detailed that the reader will have to figure out what it is.
    Just as Jose, I am also confused as to why Phaedrus would be calling Chris at the end of the chapter. What exactly could this potential "ghost" want from Chris? I am not into supernatural kind of things so it bothers me that Phaedrus is a ghost. His possible interaction with Chris bothers me as well because I want Chris to remain unscathed. The revelation of his mental state has made me pity him and I do not want Phaedrus to hurt him or even have any interaction with him for that matter. Despite only "hearing" of Phaedrus twice, he does not seem like a pleasant or save ghost to be around.
    - Talia Akerman

    ReplyDelete