Sunday, September 8, 2013

Father and Son Relationshi[ and Ideas About Ghosts

                Chapter 3 was easier to read than the previous ones. One of the things I enjoyed about this chapter was how realistic the father and son relationship was portrayed. By trying to be a good father, he indulges himself in the conversation of ghosts, trying to interest his son and give him what he wants. I can relate to when Chris has no idea what his father is talking about. I’ve been involved in similar instances where my father and I are speaking and my younger brother can’t grasp anything. When he asks a question, my father sighs and prepares for a long explanation just the narrator. Not to mention, the mood the narrator is in when he is kept from sleeping is one I am very familiar with. My father, as well as the narrator becomes grumpy and angry when someone is stopping him from getting his sleep.  These types of instances make the reader understand the narrator’s feelings.

                Not to mention, I found his monologue on what a ghost is or isn’t to be very interesting. His way of thinking was different from any I had heard before. His ideas made me think in a completely different way because they were new to me and the captured my attention. For the most part, I think he is right; everything is a ghost, everything is in your mind. You can’t really see science, “it has no matter or energy”, but it’s still there.  Every idea is in our heads, in our imaginations, but it exists. However, I disagree with the narrator on one thing: that the law of gravity did not exist before Isaac Newton. In my opinion, the law did exist, like everything else exists, except it hadn’t been discovered yet. For example, when new animal or plant species are found, they are new to us, because we had never seen them before, but that does not mean they didn’t exist, we just didn’t know about them.

Jose Novas 

No comments:

Post a Comment