Sunday, September 15, 2013

Further Development of Main Characters


As I continued reading I was surprised the topic of ghosts was not touched upon straight away. Instead I witnessed further character development by the author and an example of how long group trips take intensive organization, patience and cooperation.
As the group leaves the motel in the cold early morning towards Ellendale, everybody seems quiet, a relatively normal circumstance of cold mornings. However, as they arrive at Ellendale, I could tell that John and Sylvia were rather unhappy with the nameless narrator for taking the road so early in the morning, given the current situation. The way John and Sylvia didn’t talk to him upon arrival and remained inside the hotel until it warmed up while the narrator went out for a walk gave it away. This circumstance is one that is definitely present in almost all group trips. Everybody has different opinions and tastes; the compromise in decisions is essential for a successful trip.
The narrator’s character is further developed by the walk he has through town in the morning. He shows how he is observant and a thinker. Questioning cause and effect situations such as “no technology”. John’s character surprised me the most. At first I thought he was serious man, slightly clumsy by the way he deals with his bike and equipment. However, when he decides to play the role of “Chickenman” through the restaurant wearing just long blue underwear I changed my opinion. He is a funny guy, and likes to have fun, just don’t make him ride when it’s cold.  Sylvia’s character is shown when she talks about prairie’s nature. How what they see cannot be captured in a photo and is only worth watching with raw eyes. I completely agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment