Monday, February 17, 2014

Reaction to book

I have to admit, I was never able to fully connect with this book due to it's topic and intellectual ideals that most of the time just seem boring to me. I like to see action, things happening, people moving and acting in society and dealing with conflicts and fighting on to  solve them. However, unfortunately, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenace did not provide me with the essentials for me to enjoy reading it.

On the other hand, that does not mean I did not get anything out of it, but on the contrary, many aspects and thoughts on logic that Pirsig provides to the readers are ones that I agree with. Such topic as the "what is quality" , where he spends a vast amount of time explains that quality, or "beterrness" is different for all since everybody woes life and different life situations differently. Quality for me may be different from somebody else's quality. In my opinion, quality is the measurment and ratio of how much effort and passion one puts into an action and how much success or accomplishment follows that action. I believ a work with good quality is one that has a lot of effort and passion behind it, therefore it was done with high regards and successfully represented in life.

Pirsig's way of describing how one should live life takes a while to comprehend and I am still not sure whether I understand it correctly. Throughout the entirebstirybhebregards himself as the nameless narrator following somebody's footsteps (Phaedrus) which in some ways I believe is the same person. But through his travels he shows how people should live with their own rational thought, as everybody's rational thought is unique and will work best for their own decisions an actions in life.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Mainenace is a book that I will never forget, both for it's constant rambling of on and on boring intellectual though stuff and for the key points that actually came through to me, and for the beautiful descriptions of the American scenery and all the weird yet satisfying interactions between the narrator and Chris and the people they meet on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment