Sunday, February 16, 2014

Constant Rambling

Although on the surface Pirsig’s writing seems to have no purpose due to its constant and nonstop rambling, I am pretty sure that everything he writes in his book has a purpose that alludes to something else even though I will never fully understand most of what I have read due to the deep analysis that Prisig requires from the reader. When Pirsig keeps referring to the night he spoke in his sleep to his son, it seems as if that story is made up. I understand that Pirsig is a very intellectual person and likes to make situations more complicated than they really are, but sleep talking has no purpose, or at least it seems that way. Pirsig is probably the only person that takes sleep talking and what he said to his son so seriously, most people would brush it off of their shoulder and not think much of it. From having read so much already, I know that the sleep talking is however, going to have some sort of impact on the book as a whole, on quality, or at the very least in Pirsig and Chris’ relationship. The only part that bothers me about all that is that it seems too perfect. In other words, it is too big of a coincidence to take place at this moment in the book. The book is supposed to be a real life story of events that took place, but at times it seems as if some things were forced in. I think my problem with this book that I am too direct. I guess I do not look at the bigger picture and take everything that is happening into account; I focus solely on what I am reading and forget about everything else that I have read.
When Phaedrus conceptualizes quality as a “pre-intellectual reality”, he basically stated what I was thinking the whole time. I mentioned in my previous blog that in my opinion, quality is different for each person. However, I was never able to explain why, but Pirsig did it for me. I completely agree that people perceive quality differently because they approach it with different experiences in their past. 

No comments:

Post a Comment