Sunday, February 23, 2014

Comment on Rodrigo's Themes

Strongest: I think your strongest theme is the definition of quality. Since Pirsig himself made the students write an essay on the definition of quality, I think that writing an entire term paper about it would be interesting. Much of the second half of the novel talks about the definition of quality through Pirsig's eyes and Phaedrus' inability to define it. I think that this topic is good because you could incorporate a lot of the book into it. Since, as you said, the book is so ambiguous about quality you will have a lot to write about.

Weakest: I don't think that the theme "nothing is absolute" is too strong. It;s not that I don't see it as a theme in the novel, I just see it contradicting too much with your other theme about our personality's and holding onto our values. I don't like either of these two topics nearly as much as the one above. However, if I did have to choose one I would say that the one about values seems to be a better topic to write about. I think that the approach you're potentially taking for writing about this subject is coming from an interesting perspective. Nevertheless, I think you could write a lot more about your first theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment