Sunday, March 2, 2014

Thesis and Outline

I chose to write about how life cannot be figured out through rational thinking. Not only does this topic have a lot of material I could use, but it correlates with topics we have discussed in class and allows me to include some of my ideas as well.  Not to mention, I find this topic interesting and believe I can do well on it.

Thesis:
The only way to try and comprehend life is through irrational thinking since the rationale is something humans created in order to have a structure on how to live. Throughout the novel, Pirsig continually searches for a logical explanation to every situation and scenario, but realizes that it is not possible and eventually drives himself insane trying to do so.

Outline:

I.                    Irrational thinking in itself, such as smoking or skydiving
II.                  Philosophy and science; space is boundless, yet we cannot grasp that.
III.                Love; how this attachment seems to give life a purpose
IV.                Religion; how we give God all the responsibility we cannot handle

V.                  There are no absolute truths; creationism vs. Darwinism.  

No comments:

Post a Comment