Sunday, November 17, 2013

Comment

I am happy Dany and I have the same question on the relationship between the narrator and Phaedrus. I agree with him that Phaedrus is an actual person. Given all the evidence from the war's he participated in and his travels and life in other countries, in addition to being a philosophy student, it will be hard to prove that he is something other than a human being.  The way the narrator discloses a vast amount of information about Phaedrus also surprised me. Throughout the beginning of the novel i always thought that Phaedrus took on a role of a ghost, a mysterious being in the life of the narrator that he seemed to be petrified of, yet wanting to discover more about him. Now however, it seems like the narrator wrote his biography, he knows everything about Phaedrus! He does not seem afraid of the "ghost" and keep retracing his steps through the Midwest in pursuit of additional information I suppose. Even to the point of staying at Mr. Deweese's house, as Phaedrus stayed. Does the narrator even know Mr. Deewese? This was something Sylvia and John were questioning him about but I did not find a believable answer from the narrator explaining  their relationship. I am eager to discover more about the narrator's relationship to Phaedrus as that, I believe, will bring about a turning point in the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment