Sunday, November 10, 2013

Comment on Talia's Response to My Post

Now, after reading Talia’s comment on my post and thinking about it a little more, I agree with Talia. I think that due to the fact that I, myself cannot answer these questions, I become frustrated in a way.  Talia is right in saying that a question is usually meant to be answered because it is supposed to have answer. Even rhetorical questions have answers, just that the responses are not required. A question left unanswered does feel incomplete, as if something was missing.  Like Talia mentioned in class on Friday, after numerous unsuccessful attempts, I was frustrated. I was somewhat bothered by the fact that I could figure it out, when there was a way to solve it. However, even though I feel like every question is supposed to and should have an answer, it does not mean that they do. For example, the answer to why the Earth is round or why humans came to be is not one hundred percent accurate, they are all theories. Who is John Galt? I still do not know how to answer that question. No matter how much knowledge and insight we have, I do not think we would be able to answer the questions or ideas Pirsig leaves his readers. I mean, how are we going to do it, if Pirsig does not have a response to them himself?


Still, the questions that keep bothering me and ticking away at me the most is: Why Pirsig describes these ideas and has this sort of mindset? Who is Phaedrus actually and why is was he even created? And where in the world is this book headed?

No comments:

Post a Comment