Sunday, November 10, 2013

Comment to Jose's Post

 I really agree with the point Jose is making about the way Pirsig manipulates his readers through the narrator. I do not know if I would consider them “tangents” but I do believe that a lot of what Pirsig says leaves me questioning many things, one of those things being what I just read.
            Not to psychoanalyze Jose, but I think the reason he continues to think about these questions he cannot answer is that he is bothered by the mere fact that he cannot answer it. I say this because I know that the same is the case with myself. A question seems like it should be answered, a question left unanswered feels incomplete to me. Any lack of answering things because to really bother me because I feel slightly incompetent, something I am sure no one likes to feel. I am not sure if I agree with the statement Jose made about the questions being “unanswerable”. I feel like sometimes when we cannot answer something we would rather think it unanswerable so that we feel better about being at a fault to answer. I think all of these questions that come to mind during Pirsig’s work are answerable, just not with the current knowledge and insight that we have.  I am unsure of what kind of knowledge it would take to answer said questions but I do not think them unanswerable. This point brings me to the activity we did in class on Friday. Many of us asked if it was possible to even connect three houses to three utilities without an intersection. It is possible we just did not see how. Our constant failure to answer the puzzle if you shall made us question its possibility in an attempt to cope with out failure.
-Talia Akerman

No comments:

Post a Comment