Sunday, December 8, 2013

Determination through lack of faith

This weeks' reading came with abundant information on the way people think and act. In my opinion, Pirsig did an excellent job in making the narrator describe Phaedrus' experience at the university and how his lack of faith in reason gave him the determination to keep teaching the class and giving his famous church speech at the end. I completely agree with what Pirsig is trying to get across. What brings one determination to complete a task? It is definitely not the thought that completing the task is easy and nothing has to be prepared or studied to do it. For example, when I know i have a test the next day but I have been paying attention in class, know the subject material and am pretty sure I am going to be fine, I do not have determination to study any more because I have convinced myself that I am set.  On the other hand, however, if I know I am not in a safe standing to do well on the test, I will definitely be determined to study more. This is exactly what happened to Phaedrus' life as a professor at the university, due to his lack of understanding on the subject, his determination in succeeding allowed him to deliver  phenomenal speech to his class.
In addition to this touch, another aspect that Pirsig speaks about is the idea of location. I agree with him in that a certain establishment does not have a "right location". A church service could be located in a church in the middle of the city as it could be located under a tiki hut in Tahiti, as long as the minds of the people attending it are unified and determined to make their presence at a religious service. In the same manner, a school or university can be located anywhere as the long the students and professors within consider it a school.
As the narrator approaches Phaedrus' old school, I wonder what effect it will have on his journey. He seems nervous about it, and seems like he is curious, but at the same time does not want to uncover any hidden tombs...

No comments:

Post a Comment